Being unable to delete files from your SD card is certainly not a pleasant experience. Especially so if you need to free up some space. The problem is, there are many things that can cause this issue. Don’t worry. We got your back. In this post, we tell you how to solve cannot delete files from SD card.
We list common causes of the issue and tell you how to troubleshoot each one.
How to Solve Cannot Delete Files from SD Card
There are various things that cause the “I am unable to delete files from memory card” issue. From simple ones like an opened file and improper contact to write protection and a corrupted card. We tell you how to solve each one below.
1 Opened file
One of the most common causes is an open file. If the file you want to delete is open, you won’t be able to delete it. To solve this, all you need to do is to close the file.
2 Improper contact
Is the SD card inserted correctly? Is it in good contact with the adaptor/reader? If it isn’t, adjust it so that the card is in proper contact with the adaptor/reader.
If improper contact is the cause of the “I am unable to delete files from memory card” issue, adjusting the card should solve it.
3 How to solve cannot delete files from SD card due to disabled write permission
When you are unable to delete files from SD card Android, it might be due to disabled write permission.
Follow these steps to enable write permission.
- On a computer, go to “File Explorer”.
- Locate your SD card.
- Right-click on the card.
- Select “Properties”.
- Click the “Security: tab.
- Click “Edit” and allow write permission.
4 The files are write-protected
Encountering “write protected cannot delete files from SD card”? If so, you can either unlock it manually or use a computer to unlock it.
The first one only works if your SD card has a lock slider. To unlock the card, simply move the slider upward.
The second one works for any SD card.
Here’s how to unlock an SD card using Command Prompt.
- Connect your SD card to a computer (you can use either an SD card adapter or reader for this).
- Click the “Search” icon and type in “cmd”.
- Right-click “Command Prompt”.
- Select “Run as administrator”. This will open Command Prompt.
- Type these commands: “diskpart”, “list disk”, “select disk #”, and “attributes disk clear readonly” without the quotes. Enter the commands in that order and press Enter after you type each one.
(Note: # is a placeholder for the number of the SD card).
After you have done so, you should see “Disk attributes cleared successfully” on the Command Prompt. That means your SD card is now unlocked.
Now you know another method to solve the “write protected cannot delete files from SD card” issue.
5 How to solve cannot delete files from SD card if the card is corrupted
If you are unable to delete files from SD card Android, one of the possible causes is a corrupted SD card. Unfortunately, if your SD card is corrupted, there isn’t much you can do about it.
That said, there is still hope. Formatting an SD card can solve a lot of issues, including a corrupted SD card. Formatting, however, is a drastic measure. And in the case of a corrupted SD card, it may or may not work. So, only do it if it is your last resort.
Here’s how to format an SD card.
- On a computer, open “File Explorer”.
- Find the SD card then right-click it.
- Select ”Format”.
- Click “Restore device defaults”.
- Select the file system you want for the SD card.
- Click “Start” to start the formatting process.